Tuesday, August 28, 2007

AJ down at PR...

...but not out.

Taking himself out in a single-man wreck near the front of the pack after the first turn at PR tonight Aaron Johnson didn't get too much sympathy from his fellow racers. Comments like, "couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy" to "karma'll get you every time" had me shaking my head.

Now I understand Aaron history, and he's certainly made his share of enemies with knucklehead moves and immature behavior - but I think that my sometime carpool partner is quickly becoming a reformed & focused racer while showing signs of maturity to match his twenty-four years (half my age).

That doesn't mean he's going to be anybody's poster boy anytime soon. Some may see by my previous posts that I have a certain affinity for AJ & may wonder why I bother with this guy? Well I would answer that despite his piercings he doesn't sprout horns. I see the potential that AJ might possess. True he is still a bit impetuous, brash, and quick to shoot off his mouth in the heat of competition - he has a quality like old-timer Jonny Sundt ("the cat" - Kelly Benefits) - somebody who everybody loves to hate; but is always there when the finish line is rapidly approaching. If AJ can attract the interest of any professional squads next season then we'll really see if he can win any fickle hearts out there or just get lost in the crowd. It's easy to appreciate guys like Ian, Jamie, or Mick, who're pretty humble guys and let there legs do the talking for them; so AJ has a lot to learn from those he can emulate - and I like routing for the up & comers.

Myself I was a little miffed that I had no teammates for whom to work for tonight - I know Chad has the series all wrapped up points-wise and can pass, but where'd everybody else go on such a great Tuesday night? So I took a few flyers here & there that interested absolutely nobody (shows you how dangerous a rider they think I am) and was left to wallow until the pack picked me up time and again. But hey, nothing ventured - nothing gained right?

And a Happy Birthday to Steve "Higgie" Higgins (BRI) who turned 107 today - raced hard, finished strongly, and had his teammies left shaking their collective heads on how he can be soooo strong & fast at his decrepit age.

Thanks Rory - though throw in a few more up & down the S's next year please.

3 comments:

Old as dirt said...

Erik,
I think you make valid points about AJ, and he has been riding very well, and not so badly behaved. Let's hope he carries it on to next year as he does have potential.
Thanks for the compliment :-)

Cheers

P-Dog said...

Actually, A.J. does have horns. It's just you can only see them when he looks in a mirror.

justfivegrins said...

PD,
As you're aware AJ is his own worst enemy. He has had some good results by having great form this season (not having to work & living at home sure helps). And riding unattached allows him to capitalize on whatever he can. Throw him into the team format again and it's anybody's guess.