Friday, September 21, 2007

Babbitt tops Haleakala

Brian Babbitt rode the 36+ mile uphill course to the cloud shrouded summit at Red Hill (10,023') in about 3 1/2 hours leaving me to suffer many switchbacks behind. Heavy wind, heavy drizzle, and low visibility hampered the speed on the descent until about 7,000' where we thawed out at the visitors center (and Joanna's car) but then the fun back down the mountain really began. At least I was able to lead and keep ahead on the way down - perhaps I should just resign myself now to the coasting down the volcano rides.

So it looks as if I have a lot of work to do before the big event next year. Of course riding a bike a little lighter than my 28# Raleigh tank will help a lot; not to mention getting out for longer endurance rides, getting my core in order, more strength & power training, and more sleep as the youngin's get older and sleep in a bit longer.

No comments: