Monday, August 18, 2008

5 straight

On the bike for 5 straight days this week before taking today off - sleeping, chasing kids & then flying all day (though not all three at the same time).

Training rides and goofing rides at home and on layovers (LAX & SFO) with an actual RR in NORCAL which was very fun even if I didn't get to finish it. Turns out the pace was behind the schedule I needed to feel comfortable to jump back in the rental for the 1.5 hour drive back to SFO; so I dropped after 2 laps (48 miles) and went to the hotel to get cleaned up.

Also the race flyer said "The last ½ mile of Cantelowe is a steep twisty decent; use caution!! All of the roads are narrow; if you can’t stay to the right of the centerline, stay home." So I didn't stay home, but was hoping that the lead in to this descent was a long gradual climb, alas this was not the case, it was as twisty & steep as the other side - fun even though my little clown bike doesn't do to well on tough climbs since it's not very stiff (didn't help that my chain was skipping either). I'd fall of the back on the way up and chase back on - if there's one thing this bike loves it's corners.

I thought the other odd thing about this particular race was that there was no rolling enclosure OR a USAC Official following most of the races. Some fields had a moto guy following but I don't know how they made the determination who got one and who didn't? But with the rural roads and the self-officiating of the field taking care of things maybe those aren't always necessary!

So with a day off today I'll be back on the bike tomorrow in Fairbanks dodging grizzlies and moose for 6 outta 7 days - definitely ending the week with my biggest hourly and mileage totals (which I don't keep track of anymore).

No comments: