Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bike commute

I started last week - joining many of you who're able to ride to work - doing the 35 mile (1-way) trip 4 times now. I have to get up earlier than I'm used to but once I get started it certainly is invigerating.

Late fall may not seem to be the ideal time to start such a venture, but I'm not able to get out as frequently as I wish on my days off so as to spend time with the kiddo's. So while the weather has still been mostly dry lately and I've been able to ride my race bike, with wetness fast approaching putting full fenders on the old Cannondale and making sure my rain gear is foolproof will be a top priority.

This also will not be a 100% adventure. With two 2-day trips back-to-back this weekend, I drove into work on Friday flew my flights and biked home Saturday afternoon. Then this morning I biked back to work with the plan to drive home tomorrow evening. It saves me a roundtrip in the car and gets me out for 4 hours on the bike I otherwise wouldn't have been able to; and I will try to bike commute as often as I'm able.

Which is the point of this whole thing - get my butt outside more often and increase my base miles and get a decent workout (maybe even though in some impromptu intervals here and there) without having a significant impact on my family life.

See you on the roads in the South Sound on the way to/from SeaTac Airport.

No comments: