Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Superior race

OK maybe it was only adequate, but it did start in Superior, AZ, 60 miles east of Phoenix off HWY 60 (with most categories doing 60+ miles). Now only if I entered the Masters 60+ race, the stars would've been aligned.

However being the longest ride of the year, in the hottest weather I've faced this year (with the overnight low being hotter than the warmest day in SEA so far), with the most hills I've seen this year - the stars were not aligned for a superior race; especially on my relatively heavy and not-too-stiff Pocket Rocket.

Course was an out-and-back with lots of ups and downs. The road sign said 10% grade going out (and downhill) - which I knew was going to spell trouble for me on the return (which it did). We raced with the 60+ group (which include Seattle area hometown fav. Franz Hammer who is 72). The group shed a few on the way out though most regrouped until approx. 15 miles to the finish where the dreaded 10%-er loomed. This went on (not all of it 10%) for about 8 miles. At top-of-climb I put the hammer down on Franz and did a solo run for home (dropping my 2 suffer-fest companions). The one thiing I am very sure of on this bike is that it does go downhill fast. Not sure where I finished but will reluctantly post when they show up.

update (3/24): results

No comments: