Saturday, March 13, 2010

I feel like Jim Carrey

On long layover in Houston. We stay up in The Woodlands, which reminds me a lot of the Truman Show. No trash, no weeds, perfect little neighborhood, with shops too cute, and everybody's too nice. No signage allowed ajacent to the roadway (busisness or otherwise), certainly no for sale signs or yard sale signs; the mounted not-quite police which take their cue from the RCMP, and too helpful bike cops round out the theme. Certainly nobody that doesn't belong.

Truman Burbank: It was Dad. I swear! Dressed like a homeless man. And you know what else was strange? A business man and a woman with a little dog came out of nowhere and forced him onto a bus. Truman's Mother: Well! It's about time they cleaned up the trash downtown before we become just like the rest of the country

Though being Texas the drivers are still...well Texans. Not that I heard anybody honk or be overtly impolite, but the oh-too-close passing, and gunning of the engine with the LOOK like we just shouldn't belong. The LOOK goes both ways, though I'm not sure they get it.

Got up at sunrise this morning ("Cue the sun!) and met up with a group out of a local shop for about a 40 mile ride and then tacked on another 35-ish (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26876113); though not quite sure because I forgot to restart my Garmin until about 5 miles after leaving the shop the second time. Truman Burbank: Somebody help me, I'm being spontaneous!

The young deer that was being consumed by the vultures when we rolled out at the beginning of the ride was swept away by the time we returned. While outside of the confines of The Woodlands roadkill was the norm (deer, possum, skunk, squirrel, racoon, etc.).

This layover changes tomorrow from a nice 25 hours (where I'm able to get in 2 nice rides for 110 miles) to a short 12 hours (where I'd get none). For those of you that need to be someplace in a timely manner tomorrow (Mason Lake, early getup on layover) don't forget to set your clocks forward before you go to beddy-by tonight as Daylight Saving Time begins at 2AM Sunday (which'll cut short my Lost Wages ride in the morning - DOH!) - Truman: The early bird gathers no moss! The rolling stone catches the worm!

No comments: