Monday, June 11, 2007

Fixie rules


Got out on my Raleigh Rush Hour yesterday with my eldest daughter in the copilot position (good for an extra 30#) for a spin around the "Harbor."

For those of you that know the local terrain, the flat sections of road in the Gig Harbor area are few are far between. So it was good fast spinning on the downhills (aided periodically by my brakes) and muscle tension workouts on the uphills (39 x 16). Nice workout actually, and it gets the girl out for some fresh air wth her Dad.

Our 2-hour ride was broken by a stop at Olalla Elementary for a playground break. And after a brief milk stop at Al's we demoralized some poor bastard by passing him mid-way up the hill just south of the Olalla bridge. I don't know what this poor guy (on a nice carbon Trek) must've been thinking as we cruised past - with my daughter waving and saying bye bye - but it couldn't have been good for his moral. Perhaps he was just finishing a 5 hour tempo ride with several hill intervals thrown in and was spinning down prior to going home - but I think I might've inadvertently converted another guy into picking up the sport of shuffleboard.

Of course maybe he doesn't have any competitive aspersions and was just enjoying a beautiful afternoon out on the bike - but if you see a nice Trek on eBay all of a sudden, you can blame me (and Makenna). Happy bidding!

No comments: