Sunday, November 18, 2007

Double Dallas

In my travels with my Pocket Rocket I get to see many cities across our nation. Most have very similar street names - Main street, Presidents (Washington, Taft, Cleveland, etc.), numbers (1st, 3rd, 27th, etc.), Cities & States (Massachusetts, Oakland, Cleveland, etc.), and trees seem to have a special affinity to city planners (Pine, Maple, Cleveland, etc.) - but Dallas, while they may have those, has some added spice with names from former Cowboy greats. Located actually in Irving right next to the Cowboys Training Facility are such street names as Landry Ct, Waters Dr, Dorsett Dr, Renfro Ct, Staubach Dr, etc. Missing was one name that I'd think was synonymous with the Cowboys - Bob Hayes, though perhaps he's got the nearby shooting range named after him. Also would've been fitting if they would've had Dandy Don's tavern located on Meridith Ct, alas it's not the case.

Cheers "Sighted dime, grabbed same" - in fact picked up 65 cents in my two days in Dallas while waiting for the lights to change (waiting for change picked up some change), and I didn't even stop at very many intersections. If I can keep this up, my kids college fund is going to be very secure.

Jeers Broken glass festival along our nations roadways & bike paths has got to be curbed. You and I witness it everyday and our tires/tubes suffer as a result. I personally saw a passenger in a p/u truck (red Dodge Ram) spike a bottle as he drove down the road yesterday. Never got a chance to confront the jerk (probably just as well), but WTF?

Cheers To the folks a Green Gear for envisioning such an affordable and reliable folding travel bike to allow me to escape the confines of the hotel environment & explore the offerings of some of the best of what America has to offer.

Jeers To the ignorant dog owner who let his dog run free, only to have the dogs natural chase instinct kick in when a passing cyclist catches their fancy. You can truly tell you are not their master when they totally ignore your commands to stop and continue their mad chase - in this case for blocks on end. I can only hope Fido didn't ruin somebody else's day when he ran out into traffic & found a nice home by now where someone will actually look out after his wellfare; or that you found your mutt, learned your lesson, and put a leash on him.

Cheers To the humble Texas State Champion Cedar Elm Tree along the Champion trail adjacent to the Elm River (do they have all their bases covered here?). Don't know the specifics of the Championship designation (age, size, personality, swimsuit...). Maybe next time I'll make it to the tree playoffs and watch the competition?

Jeers To the driver of the black Tahoe entering the parking lot at White Rock Lake for running the stop sign and yelling at me for being in his way on the bike path. Great example to set for your young daughter - whose bike w/training wheels was on the back rack.

Cheers To good fall weather and even better tailwind on ride back to hotel while running a tad tardy.

Jeers To all the runners on shared White Rock Lake trail who forget the word "shared". Now I'll slow appropriately for trail congestion when it's necessary - but don't be so oblivious & selfish so as to lollygag right smack dab in the middle of the trail when everyone's trying to get around you - have some presence of mind as to what you're doing, where you're doing it, and how it might affect others.

Cheers To Polar for providing a reliable training tool for when I can't ride with my PowerTap so I can pace myself on some intervals (Friday) as well those long EZ rides (Saturday). Having consistent 36 minute laps around WRL would've been a lot more difficult and would've blown my training objective for the day.

Jeers To those idiots who take it upon themselves to vandalize the public port-a-johns. What pleasure can you possibly get from trashing such a needed facility. I have faith that karma will catch up with them. I hope I'm a better parent to raise my kids to have more respect for our fellow citizens.

Cheers To the Tennis Center folks who allow the needy public to utilize their clean & sanitary facilities when time was getting desperate.

NEW service - lowest observed gas price $2.89/gallon at Vallero on Beltline Rd & Rochelle.

No comments: