Tuesday, July 22, 2008

3 days straight...


...that I've been out riding a bike - possibly a new 2008 record!

Sunday I pushed the fixie up and down the hills of Gig Harbor with my eldest on back to drop her off at the YMCA. A lot easier riding without her on the way home, but I missed my "O Suzanna" singing partner.

Yesterday I had a wonderfully long 3 1/2 hour ride in America's Finest City - San Diego - with America's Finest Weather. Though maybe not America's Finest Drivers. While I was stopped at a signal near UCSD a car behind beeped at me. I was in the bike lane and turned to look at the beeper. She sorta motioned for me to move with her hand so she could make the right turn. She had her windows down (saving on the a/c) and I asked her if she was colorblind? She said no. I asked her if she was illiterate? Again she said no. Then I pointed to the "No Turn on Red" sign that was just above my head, all I got was an Oooooo. I'm still not sure if that counts as an apology for beeping at me?

Today I actually did a CR while on layover in Orlando at Lake Louisa State Park. After flying the all-nighter in from PDX this morning and getting a paultry 4 hours sleep I finished about 10th overall in the first chase as we sprinted for 7th. Not too bad for a sleep deprived old guy in the "A" group with minimal training and a bum knee racing on a clown bike.

Tomorrow l'alpe du Huez! OK I won't be actually there riding up the epic 21 switchback climb but mentally I will. I did get the chance in 2000 to ride it and (without knowing where the TdF finish actually is) I finished in just about an hour. Not amongst the great times by the pro's - the record by Pantani (tainted by...?) is 37 minutes and change - my time is more than 50% slower. But considering that it was unaided by any artificial substances, without ever previewing the course, and was on a 27# touring bike (see above pic) - I'm proud of my effort. Go Christian, you can make up some time on your rivals & combined with the ITT of your life on Saturday, you can still finish on the podium in Paris.

No comments: