Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Where's my referral fee?

Cruising around a showery Orlando this afternoon when I had no less than 3 inquires about my bike. One is about par for the course maybe on a crowded weekend mixed in with other bikers I'll get 2. But 3 separate inquires is good news.

First guy (white guy w/crew cut) in a H2 Hummer pulls alongside and says the typical, "what type of bike is that?" I explain as best I can in 10 words or less, he says he'd like to travel with his Trek but it's too cumbersome - so I think I've got his interest.

Second guy (older black man) is in a car who has been my shadow for about a mile (on fairly narrow, but not impassable, roads). Finally pulls alongside at an intersection STOP sign and says that he was pacing me at 26MPH for the last couple of minutes (which if true was on a flat road with a tailwind). States encouragingly that I should be racing the TdF and "doing those time trailing races." Boy what some kind words will do for one's ego, especially when I think I'm about to be passed by every slug on a bike with my current state of fitness. "I used to ride a lot when I was younger, still like bikes, but....(trailing off)" I tell him bikes speak the universal language of vitality regardless of age that everyone can relate to. He says, "I got to get me one and get my butt in shape again."

Last guy (younger black man) is on a mountain bike in the part of Orlando you probably don't want to risk being after dark. He picks it up when he sees me coming. As I pull alongside he gives me the once-over and then blurts out, "Where'd you fly in from man?" I ask what makes him think I flew in from anywhere?
And he says, "cause that's onna dose travel bikes that fold into nothin' dude, and you don't see them every day, 'specially around here. Where you from?"
ME - Seattle area.
HIM -"Where you goin?"
ME - back to the hotel.
HIM -"Where's that?"
ME - back south of Universal
HIM - "Shiii, man I gotta get me one of those, so I can be in as gooda shape as you."
ME (ego on the rise again) - Where are you off to?
HIM - "Oh I um, well ya see, I'm making a delivery (nodding at his backpack)"
ME - I see.
HIM - Ya well, if you were caught with this stuff thy'd prolly kick your ass off the team, like that Boonen guy, know what I'm saying?"
ME - Tom Boonen with the coke bust?
HIM - Ya that's the guy, he's busted for a social violation; 'course he's Dutch man and they're more liberal with that than around here - man if that was me, I'd be thrown in jail with the key thrown the other way."
ME - Unfortunately I think you're right.
HIM - Damn straight man, I gotta go, go get 'em Lance!

And I tempo the 45 minutes back to the hotel.

No comments: