Thursday, June 17, 2010

Calling all cherry pickers

Promoter recently changed the Men's Masters field at a prestigious upcoming (7/10) event from a CAT 2/3/4 event to include CAT 1's.

I have mixed feelings about the change.

The Masters field has been really fickle this year - bringing out top numbers only on the driest of days. As a race promoter I can understand the need to increase the field numbers as the economics of a race promotion justifies getting as many participants as possible, so long as it doesn't exclude other legit (non- CAT 1) racers due to field limits. Perhaps the CAT 1 racers should be placed on a space available wait list, allowed to race if it isn't otherwise filled with lesser categories.

Selfishly however I would rather race with the possibility of placing highly and taking home some primes & finishing in the $$ on the podium. I was excited about the original scheme, but including CAT 1's greatly diminishes those chances.

Though racing is racing and the chance to compete with all comers will only cause me to up my game - just because there are several CAT 1's are in the field doesn't necessarily guarantee them all a cherry.

On a closing note I wholeheartedly applaud the exclusion of CAT 5's from the field as a safety precaution as most would be field fodder and unnecessarily clog the course. I also like the increase in time from 40 to 50 minutes; now if only we could convince the promoter to increase the prize purse and depth of payout (on par with the CAT 3's).

No comments: