Sunday, August 29, 2010

Shoes

It's all about getting the equipment straight for the various races that I do. A key component of that would usually involve footwear. Yesterday for my 1st triathlon in ages I needed 2 sets of shoes - the first for my bike segment & the second when transitioning to the run segment. My triathlon shoes are an old pair of Carnacs that are EZ to slip on & off using a single large Velcro closure across the top. These aren't as secure as my regular bike shoes, but allow for quicker entry & exit which is more important (particularly in sprint tri's - see pic at left).

After my early morning tri yesterday I had visions of racing an afternoon regular road race up in nearby Carnation and thus had a another bike & a separate bag-o-stuff for that. That race didn't happen (for several reasons) and I transported all my crap home in the back of my SUV.

This afternoon when going up to the season ending race at Seward Park I thought I switched all the necessary above mentioned road bike & crap to our van (for kiddo transport). Upon arrival getting all kitted up and ready for racing I pinned on my WSBA number to my jersey, got dressed, took the bike off the roof, checked the tires, set out my helmet on the handlebars, yada yada... and had that curious feeling that something was missing. Then it occurs to me, DOH!

In sorting through my stuff in the SUV for what to transfer to the van and what to leave behind, I remember placing my regular bike shoes off to the side - for some reason that made sense then, but doesn't now - and left them where I placed them. Well having all the other stuff is great, but I can't get too far or be very competitive in the running shoes I had on during a bike race (especially with the small lollipop pedals I use). Double DOH!

So the lemonade part is that the kiddo's had fun with their bud Sammy & I sorta got to watch a bike race and cheer the Killer Robots snatching a few primes in their aggressive style AND almost win the whole enchilada with a hard 4 or 5 lap solo effort toward the end by Jamie ---though it wasn't destined to be (and it may have had something to do with shoes).

No comments: