Thursday, December 20, 2007

Double DC

Tuesday & today I had the pleasure of renewing my familiarity with the DC area. Having been based there in the mid to late 80's flying the Great Silver Fleet I've only been back sporadically, but haven't had a good ride there in over a decade.

First ride on Tuesday was an out & back on the W&OD (a perfectly paved multi use trail with separate adjoining horse trail on an old railroad right-of-way) from the hotel near DCA to mile marker 33 just outside Leesburg - resulting in an approx. 75 mile venture. Close in to the city there are lots of street crossings which slow the pace considerably with all the required starts/stops. But once outside the beltway this lessens and the countryside opens up to nice rolling terrain.

Today I utilized the Key Bridge to cross the Potomac River over to Georgetown (what are Hoyas anyway? yes that's right what!) with plans to proceed up the C&O canal to White's Ferry, MD. The info. I looked up said it was a "natural surface" which led me to believe it wasn't asphalt but still ridable. Turns out I find an asphalt trail - cool. Well this happens to be a parallel path (the Capital Crescent trail) that only went a few miles before turning uphill toward Silver Springs, MD. The C&O path is clay & crushed rock - a surface the horses could use when they pulled their barges up and down the canal back in the day. Initially this was a suitable surface - a tad rough but well maintained and void of any puncture producing objects. Probably better suited for the fat tire folks but the ride is still doable. So off to mile marker 35+/- to White's Ferry. Towpath has some icy spots in the shade and the brisk north wind is biting on my mid-morning start of the ride, but still a good morning to be out. After mile 20 or so the towpath is not so frequently traveled as is was previously - lots of leaves on the trail covering the roots, rocks, and ruts and mud holes. Trail is also wetter up here and much softer slowing the pace considerably while also avoiding fallen branches littering the trail. I'm happy to get to the ferry averaging a little over 15mph though the last hour I only covered 13 miles.

Store at cable ferry ($1) is closed for the season (Doh! I'm outta water) and I cross the Potomac back to the Virginia side of the river and I make my way over to Leesburg again. Refilling water bottles at the senior center of Loudoun County Parks & Rec building I return via the W&OD as I had on Tuesday. Nice to be on solid pavement and heading back to the hotel with a gentle tailwind - about an 85 mile outing.

Sorry Pat & Michael - I couldn't resist the temptation to ride; I'll call & schedule a visit next time I'm out your way.

No comments: