Thursday, December 13, 2007

SFO tour

Silky smooth, wonderful shoulders, curvy in all the right spots - OK well I'm not just describing my wife, though that's a good start - but also the the ride in the SFO area yesterday, which I uploaded in the Ride Link off to the right side of the main blog page.

New feature (courtesy of mapmyride.com) will have links to routes I ride in the different cities I stay on trips - so you can follow along at home - or enjoy if/when you're out on business and/or pleasure in same city. Routes will be added & updated as time allows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried to ride to Skyline from my brother's house in SF but the road turned into a freeway! That was near Colma I guess. That was after lots of "expressway" riding that was kind of baked. On my way back on the expressway a mini-van came close enough that I could touch it as I avoided an overgrown bush in the shoulder.
I caught up to the driver, who'd also given me the finger, set my bike down and proceeded to punch him through his window and assualt his mini van.
I'd like to do that ride someday. I assume I'd have to drive a bit to the south to avoid the expressway stuff, etc.
By the way, there is NO WAY you did this ride as an EZ ride below 80% of max. HR unless you have a 39x27 or something.

justfivegrins said...

I like most of my layover cities on the West Coast & the Bay area rides are among my favorites - each with some good hilly routes to choose.

I do not condone hitting agressive drivers unless they've made a deternmined & immediate threat to your life. There are too many guys with weapons (other than their vehicles) who have no qualm in using them at an opportune moment.

I'm not sure what 80% of maximum you're referring to. I could keep my HR less than 80% of my true max (190 - 38 = 152) on these inclines as they ramps aren't too steep. Though it'd be difficult to keep it less than 80% of my AT.

In my post about the most difficult training ride ever - this isn't a pace I do on a continual basis. It is the pace that I fall back on in recovery mode from hard interval or steady state efforts, and it is the pace that most of my day is spent when not going hard. It will be used as a recovery ride & sometimes the occasional long day.