Thursday, December 11, 2008

SeaTac Survey

The other day I had a phone call asking about my commute frequency and high occupancy options to SEATAC Airport.

I think the guy thought I was fooling with him when I answered "500 or so" to his question as to "in the last year how many flights have you flown out of the airport?" I then explained that I work there, and the rest of my answers might be a little skewed as well.

So if the basic premise of this survey is to see how to improve the number of folks taking alternative transportation rather than otherwise clogging the highways with single occupancy vehicles and overloading the parking capabilities - then I think they have a long way to go.

While chatting with him on his survey questions I checked the trip planner for Sound Transit and find that from Gig Harbor it takes 3 connections and 2 hours 18 minutes (fare = $2.50) or 4 connections and another 16 minutes (fare = $1.50); and that doesn't include the time to get to and the waiting period at the park & ride lot.

In comparison I can drive myself in less than 45 minutes, on my own schedule, with direct costs* (fuel & tolls) of about $7 (with gas at $2/gallon).

I told him that recently I had taken the opportunity to commute to work by bike. Door-to-door in less than 2 hours with a direct cost* of 1 Clif Bar. That if the planners that be are considering all transportation options then they should not only increase their energy & spending on making access easier for cyclists to the airport (and elsewhere), but also provide secure parking (like Amsterdam below), and facilities for cleaning oneself up when we get there.

* direct costs do not reflect other tangibles such as car insurance, maintenence, replacement items due to normal wear & tear; which can add a significant expense (more so with the car than the bike - though brake pads, tires, tubes, lubes, chains, and periodic replacement of clothing and other items do add up when putting additonal commute miles on the bike as well).


I doubt I'll live to see anything like this in the States, but we could learn a lot from our neighbors across the pond.

No comments: