Sunday, April 11, 2010

42%

That was my SSA (stop signal average) on my commute home Saturday afternoon - 29 of 69 (not good). These were full fledged foot down stops waiting for some length of time, not just a signal that I could sneak a right turn at that happened to be red.

I've never kept track before but when I started out 3 for 3 and then 7 for 10, I knew it wasn't going to be a quick ride home (even with the blustery NW wind). Even if I erase the worse 10 from the overall (that first 10 lights) the SSA is still a whopping 37%, 22/59. And that's not even counting the additional stops made at stop signs - which I always do anyway.

Of course I could've chosen a less traveled route with fewer signals (down Dash Pt & Browns Pt adds 6 miles), but I was trying to get home to see the kiddo's prior to bedtime.

This morning, by contrast, my SSA was 26%, or slightly better than 1 in every 4 signals I had one of my 18 stops. I'm usually not one to keep track of such matters and won't waste too many brain cells cataloging this each time, but once I got started yesterday I couldn't stop.

This mornings commute was just a validation that the usual typical commute contains far less stops. Though if I would've had the time off to race OVRR today, like I would've liked; I wouldn't even have been able to share this valuable comparison ;-)

No comments: