Sunday, April 18, 2010

Zombies

The thing I hate about all-inclusive hotel resorts is that folks don't take the opportunity to get out and explore their surroundings. I think they feel obligated to stay at the hotel and get their money's worth. More of everything! Fair enough, if that's your strategy I understand.

In Cabo tonight - I know, but somebody has to do it - and we presently stay at the Crown Plaza Grand Faro. Now we have stayed at many hotels in Cabo over the years, with the recent trend being that most are all inclusivo.

However at this resort our stay doesn't include the all inclusive as has been the case at other resorts, but it is offered at a reduced price. With about a dozen crewmembers staying here, I'd guess 3/4 bought the $37 wristband. This mostly goes directly to increase the hotels bottom line. I mean the buffet is going to be prepared anyway, and the watered down drinks & cheap beer don't add up to much.

So the hotel is arranged and provided by the Company - we don't pay for that; and they negotiated a rate that doesn't include the all inclusive fair. But folks buy it anyway? WTF??

We all have a choice, and I just don't understand why anybody would be obliged to stay holed up at the hotel for the duration while otherwise purposely bypassing a very nice part of the world to visit (even if for only 24 hours). Maybe they, in their watered down beer enhanced haze, don't understand why I'd pass it up? Oh well.

So the minority of us headed out to pump up the local economy and enjoy the old town. Listened to the local talent at the festive main square, had a wonderful dinner at an intimate Italian place, and bought some gelato from a nice local bakery, with a nice walk for free. And it didn't come close to $37, although I didn't get the all-I-could-drink cheap beer.

I guess my priorities are all screwed up. C'est la vie!

No comments: