Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bike by map

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of utilizing Google Maps bicycling option while on layover to get somewhere I wanted to go but wasn't sure of how to go about it in a bike friendly manner. The new option to select "bicycling" as the means of transport is kinda neat but seems to need occasional help.


Upon returning home I decided to test the system by seeing if my commute was the logical choice. I soon learned it refused to cross the Narrows Bridge under any circumstance. Firstly giving me the choice to go from Gig Harbor to the Southworth ferry over to Fauntleroy then to SEATAC. When I choose my destination as Tacoma, it also went to Southworth over to North Vashon then down the island to the South Vashon ferry to Pt Defiance and into town. It would utilize the Narrows Bridge by car but not by bike - WTF??


At the bottom of the turn-by-turn directions is a link to "report a problem." I wrote them a suggestion that the new eastbound (2nd) Narrows Bridge bike lane is really useful & usable and I can report that they took my suggestion.

So if you see anything out of sorts with the Google Maps biking option make a suggestion (bad surface, too many stop signs/signals, bike path, etc.) with those constant inputs it'll make this thing a really useful tool.

No comments: