Friday, April 20, 2007

My athletic hero



This guy is my ultimate athletic hero. No, it's not Eddy Merckx. No, it's not an aging Greg Lemond. Nope, it's not 6-time Ironman Triathlon World Champion Mark Allen either. This guy is tops. He doesn't have any significant records for the mile, or the marathon, or wins up Alpe d'Huez. He can swim but he's not known as a swimmer. He owns a bike but now rides mostly on a trainer indoors. He is not a single sport athlete, nor can he be pigeonholed as multisport athlete. And although he has lifted more weights than can be fitted in all the Gold's Gym's worldwide, and has done more push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and star jumps (jumping jacks) than a peloton of Tour de France cyclists will ever do; he is best known for his 34 years on TV ('51 - '84) .

More than Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons, Tony Little or any other Johnny-come-lately fitness personality - Jack LaLanne is an original, America's first true pure fitness fanatic.

He championed tights when tight shorts weren't fashionable (cyclist take note). He championed women's fitness before Title IX was even a glimmer in Patsy Mink's eye. Jack championed overall fitness to anyone and everyone when fitness wasn't yet fashionable. Jack made it fashionable and fun (and in black & white).

Not one to be shy about self-promotion he continues to sell the Jack LaLanne philosophy to anyone within earshot stating, "I cannot afford to die, it will ruin my image."

Other great LaLanne quotes to ponder:

"Life is survival of the fittest... How many healthy people do you know? How many happy people do you know? Think about it. People work at dying, they don't work at living. My workout is my obligation to life. It's my tranquilizer. It's part of the way I tell the truth--and telling the truth is what's kept me going all these years."

"If man makes it, I don't eat it. I practice what I preach. I eat 10 raw vegetables, 5 pieces of fruit, egg whites and fish for protein, and whole grains. Finally, if you can't have a sense of humor, you're dead."

"Thoughts are things. Negativity is what kills you... It's tough to do, but you've got to work at living, you know? Most people work at dying, but anybody can die; the easiest thing on this earth is to die. But to live takes guts; it takes energy, vitality, it takes thought. . . . We have so many negative influences out there that are pulling us down. . . . You've got to be strong to overcome these adversities . . . that's why I never stop."

Jack is 2 days shy of being 44 years my senior - and he could probably kick my ass in any physical routine he chose focused on. Be like Jack!

No comments: