Saturday, March 22, 2008

Independance Valley RR

With crud still lodged in my sinuses I still ventured out to race at the IVRR today as the wonderful March Saturday weather continued. Though I sort of chickened out and instead of racing with the CAT1/2's I sheepishly entered the world of the Masters C's & D's. This race was only 2 laps, half of the 1/2 race and presumably would get me some fast & furious racing, while also getting me pointed home sooner.

Well fast & furious wasn't the theme - the 4 climbs were a decent pace but not particularly tough and the flat sections were a joke. I tried to spice things up a few times on both the penultimate and ultimate climbs AND descents, but nobody took the bait. So at the 1K sign I gave a false jump to jumpstart the legs, and when the pack caught up I squeezed myself into what seemed to be ideal position but soon found myself sitting 2nd wheel approaching the 200 meters to go when guys rotated off. So knowing I had a better chance from afar than waiting until the last minute I started the final kick - and ending up sprinting for 20th as everybody screamed by. If I hadn't tried I wouldn't have won either; so better to have tried & failed blah, blah...

Ended up meeting Chad (who flatted out on lap 2) in the parking lot & we rode back to the finish area - and testing my directional capability eh youngster. And I can fly across the country without getting lost too.

I hop off to Ontario, CA tomorrow where they're holding an Easter Sunday GP race (sounds like a crit to me) right down the road from the hotel; if they let me race my Pocket Rocket I'm in - Happy Easter!

No comments: