Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ontario GP

Just one day after I get after Chad for not knowing which way to go to watch the finish at IVRR, I too go off on a search for the start of the Ontario GP 180 degrees out of whack. Karma police out in full force. As a result of my errant navigation I missed the start 40+ Masters race and thus signed in for the 30+ Masters race later in the afternoon. Maybe that was a good thing since multi-time winner of everything anywhere Thurlow Rogers won going away.

Race fee was $24 with a late fee of $6. $30 for a 45 minute race - but I paid it! My Dad always said something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, so there you go. I'm not sure how many of the other 70+ racers preregistered but for a race that only paid out $250 over 6 deep, that's the free market for you. We have a capitalist society - so don't bitch; you want cheap races, go to China or Cuba.

Racing was pretty hot - literally (88 degrees, which was good for the sinuses) - with frequent attacks & counters. I get up to the front group fairly quickly as the tail end was very squirrely. I tried to judge which attacks I should cover and which I thought would come back (Pruitt, you would've been proud). Unfortunately with my recent sickness and lack of intense repeat interval training of this sort - it took it's toll. Nearing 3 laps to go, I just redlined and couldn't keep pace with the small group that eventually contested the final sprint. Probably feeling the efforts from yesterday too. I officially rolled across in an uncontested bunch sprint for 26th - but most proud of the fact that nobody finished in front of me my age or older.

I guess they call this race a Grand Prix instead of a criterium because the course is 1.2 miles (6 corners) rather than the normal 1K or so that a crit. is contested over.

And not too bad for the Pocket Rocket either. Lots of post-race interest in the bike, including from the USAC Official. He said he didn't notice it until we were underway, but then he checked my license category and saw that I was always up near the front and said that there wasn't anything that he could do anyway - it was legal to race it, though if I was the squirrely one I got the feeling he would've pulled me.

Watched about half the CAT 1/2/3 race (which I woulda, shoulda, coulda entered if I was feeling more confident about my racing) - then I got hungry and left. Rock Racing showed up with about 8 guys, and looked to be in every move up until then. Some Toyota United guys, and several other top local teams. 140 guys in that race paid a minimum of $32 (with same $6 for day of race registration). Payout for them is a mere $1000, 12 deep. So registration nets at least $4500 - $1000 payout, pretty sweet for this one category.

All-in-all a good day for racers & promoters alike.

No comments: