Thursday, May 28, 2009

Butt hard

Down in SFO early today and heading out about 1PM for my nice loop ride. I was feeling good until coming down the hill to Pacifica when I realized the wind was blowing, and hard, out of the south. This is atypical and caught me completely off guard.

So I slogged into the wind, which aided by the coastal overcast made for cool & blustery conditions; very much different from just the other side of the coast range (Santa Cruz Mountains). Turned off of the main road at Lobitos Creek cut-off for a 2 mile climb to intercept the remainder of the Tunitus Creek climb - all in all a 9.5 mile 2500' affair. This was a climb on this years TdCA and one that I frequent when I'm on a SFO layover. The TdCA must've had some influence because gone were the numerous cracks and ruts that makes this road great for climbing but a nightmare for descending. Though I swear the reasonably new asphalt was making the climb slower, albeit smoother. I'll save my review of the descent for another day, as I've been too chicken head down.

On other rides up this climb though the redwoods I've had some wonderful experiences, often passing several others on the way. Not today! Not only was it a solitary effort - but an effort that really showcased my lack of training and fitness. Either that or I can blame it on the fact that I forgot to eat anything until mid-climb and was running on empty.

On the way back toward the airport on top of Skyline Blvd the fog was rolling up and over the road in several spots with gusto, blowing me sideways and forcing me to pedal harder than I wanted on the descent when faced into the wind. Still a good day to be out and look forward to my rematch next week.

No comments: