Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Race Director (aka juggling artist)

As Race Director for the WA State Masters/Juniors Championship RR this last Sunday; my first attempt at getting on the other side of bike racing - my organizational skills were put to task.

With a little time on my hands to try to salvage the race after the original cancelled the June 10th version that was supposed to be held in Elma. Getting through the necessary hoops and hurdles of USA Cycling - thanks Sarah, and the Pierce County permitting process was not the main concern. All the logistics from ordering Honey Buckets, reserving the host venue, notifying the Key Peninsula FD for standby paramedics, etc. was all able to take place well before race day. Going over my pre-race game plan trying to ensure all the contingencies were in place for whatever came up, and coordinating with the local officiating crew was taken care of well before race day. Making sure the various paperwork necessities got done, placing race flyers on several internet sites and local bike shops, and getting the local media informed, were all a part of the process. My first test was ensuring I had enough volunteers to staff a safe course. Thankfully several women from Taem Group Health stepped up as did a good contingent of family and close friends. I would've liked to have had more, but I think we covered the basics for a safe racing environment.

When race day arrived the reality test was about to begin. Can I get the signage and registration up in time? Are my volunteers really going to materialize in time? What's with this cloud cover - it's cold. When it burns off will the sun wilt my volunteers? What about the racers? Do I have enough food & drink for my volunteers, paperwork, pins? Doh, I've got to set up the Feed Zone! Is anybody going to show up at the end of what some would call a 5-day weekend (after the 4th on Wednesday)? Am I going to meet or eat my expenses? Whose playing that banjo (was that Ned Betty I heard squealing)? Lots of questions clogging my feeble brain.

Master Women and most of the Juniors start filing into the parking field and milling about. Some starting to hover near the registration table before the 7:30 opening. Registration is skillfully run by Joanna Babbitt - I'm in good hands. Suddenly were racing - women are off, all 18 of them. The Juniors B, C, & D's are next in waves of 3, 3, & 5 respectively. This is what I'm used to racers on the road - and that's what they've come for. Race wave one under way.

Next Wave of Men's Masters C & D's with the Junior A's (all 3 of them) go at 11. The last wave of Men's Master A's & B's go off a bit tardy at 2:15 (verses the scheduled 1:30) - sorry! The Men's CAT 1/2/3 field has 2 guys (1 who paid & 1 who volunteered earlier in the day and is comp'd), they ride with the Master A's. Where'd that field go - only 2 guys show for the under age 35 race? And it was the only field that offered prize money, I don't get it. Finally the officials are ready & everybody is off and racing.

I follow the Master B's as neutral wheel support. It's not quite like listening to Phil, Paul & Bob Roll, but on race radio it's sure interesting to follow what's happening as well as seeing what's going on in front of you.

All the fields were smaller than what I would've liked. I think the combination of a long holiday weekend had people outta town with family, the fact that Redmond Derby Days Crit. was the previous day, Boise had a lucrative SR this same weekend, Master's Nationals also started this weekend back in PA and stole some top Masters guys, and Pruitt no-showed (which put the kibosh on the entire Axley contingent).

Races over, results up, medals handed out; tear down everything, put it all back in the boxes. Gather the signage, pay the officials, clean up the grounds, sanitize the hands one more time, drive course one last time to ensure everything's cleaned up and nothing left behind or out of place. Want to leave it as we found it, if not better.

After a 13-hour day it's off to dinner at Ruston Way waterfront with family, celebrating my Mother-in-law's Birthday. My slim vision of getting my bike packed and ready to go to catch an 8:30AM flight back east Monday morning to race Masters Nationals on Tuesday dwindle away as I get home utterly exhausted wanting nothing more than to sleep in for a day or 2.

Who's that crying - Kaden? Skyler? One of my 9-week olds needs me.

No comments: