Sunday, July 29, 2007

Silverdale souvenir

One third of a lap into the start of today's CAT 1/2 Crit somebody in the middle of the pack of 40 bites it. A domino theory ensues but I manage to avoid the mayhem - sort of. I'm off to the side of the bunch who're stopped or about to stop when I get bumped into a hedge at the side of the road. No biggie except after the race I notice that I have a small tear on the left shoulder of my jersey. Sure enough a big scrape of bloody skin.

Well about 15-20 of us pull into the pits for our free lap and are off to rejoin the back of the pack - fine I guess this is about where I started anyway. Except now I've got this funny rubbing sound coming from somewhere. So I stop in the pit again to see if I have a stick stuck somewhere or something loose - nothing obvious. Though the USA Cycling Official says "you've already had your free lap you're going to have to chase on." Great! Same noise again as I roll through lap three, and discover my right front brake pad is about to come off - pull in the pit for a third time in three laps, get it tightened and off I go again. Wait for the race to catch me as I chat with the wife. I get yelled at by Mr Race Director himself for taking a bad line thru a corner that his own teammate forced me into and survive the rest of the race to finish 17th or so in the field sprint, just edging Brian Hall.

But with 1 or 2 laps down I think I am officially listed as last place - oh well at least I didn't crash. So AxleyUSA bookends the field as Chad rocks up front to take top honors.

No comments: