Saturday, January 29, 2011

Awareness

I'll put this right on top just so you know - I've made my share of minor mistakes when out driving, much to the chagrin of those drivers that may have been affected. But I haven't had a fender bender since I was a teenager or a ticket in 25 years. You need to watch this!



I will also attest that I am a much more impatient driver on our roadways than I am when I'm aviating our airways. It think that may have to do with the fact that when I'm flying, I'm dealing mostly with other professionals - that is not the case when on the roads. Another consideration isn't what you'd think - that I've got a lot of other peoples lives in my hands when I'm flying. Whether I've got a full airplane or positioning an empty one doesn't change the way I fly. Besides one idiot doing something stupid/dangerous on the road has the chance of affecting many innocent lives as well. No, the other consideration that I can identify as to my impatience is that when I'm driving I'm not getting paid. This is my own damn time and if you're the insufferable SOB only going 60 in the fast lane on I-5; you're in my way & wasting MY time. You're probably the same clueless person who tries to enter the elevator as soon as the doors open instead of waiting momentarily to see if anybody is getting off.

Now notice I didn't say that I was an impatient unsafe driver - because I clearly draw the line between pushing the posted speed limit and safety. Just because I like to expedite things when I'm able, I do it safely. I don't tailgate, and I don't swerve or weave unpredictably, I don't pass unless well clear up the road. I feel there is definitely a time & place to be patient; around schools & in neighborhoods, near pedestrians & cyclists, giving way to emergency vehicles - or anybody more vulnerable than myself (I do this when riding my bike as well). And does anybody besides me know where their turn indicator is?

Looking at latest available data almost 100/day die on our nation's roads, including just under 500 in WA State for 2009. Though the numbers are decreasing (down 9.7% from '08), do you want to be part of that decreasing statistic? Moreover the insurance companies could point you toward why your rates aren't decreasing correspondingly - just because every accident doesn't result in a fatality or even injuries; doesn't mean that the potential isn't there. People parts cost a lot more to fix than car parts.

My expectations of drivers are higher by the choice of vehicle they're driving. When I see an upscale vehicle such as a BMW, Jaguar, or Escalade, I make certain assumptions than when I come upon somebody driving a Kia, Hyundai, VW Vanagon, or for that matter a souped up extra winged & bondo'd rice rocket. Though I'm frequently disappointed; more money (or horsepower or noise) doesn't buy common sense.

The basic tenants are - take your driving seriously, be courteous, pay attention, be aware. Putzing away in town at 16MPH when the posted limit is 25 - pull over. Changing 3-4 lanes of traffic to make that highway off-ramp - just go to the next exit and backtrack. Pulling your Suburban in that compact spot - really, you can't walk those extra 10-15 parking spots? Don't understand what right-of-way means - stay off the road. Accelerating into that intersection when the light has long been yellow - another form of Russian roulette. Swerving into oncoming traffic to avoid driving over that fallen branch in your lane (especially if you're driving a 4X4) - drive over it or use your brakes for crying out loud! Had a few & don't have (or are) a designated driver - call a cab. Braking on the downhill curve prior to the Narrows Bridge - what's that all about? Driving with your lights off after dark or in other low visibility conditions - you're in too much of a hurry, but won't be for much longer? Leaving your vehicle idling, in the line of like vehicles idling, while at the curb-side pickup next to the playground - cough, cough, shut it off. Driving around the school parking lot texting - whose kid are you willing to hit with your ineptitude??

And to all the rest of you with your heads up your arse, PLEASE PAY THE F*%K ATTENTION!! The somebody you may have spared might just be yourself.

The folks I've had-it-up-to-here with lately is those dolts slowing & creeping along, neck craning to the right, waiting & blocking obliviously (at times stopped, sometimes signaling, most times not), then quickly cutting off somebody in the right lane exiting southbound I-5 to HWY 16 (which gets pretty backed up at times - to the Tacoma Dome); and to top it all off, no wave.

For getting this far my fellow impatient readers a little treat. My secret (shhhhhh) to not waiting (at I-5/HWY 16) and being taken advantage of, and/or not resorting to being one of those taking advantage - is do this instead, it may be a bit longer distance, but I guarantee it'll take less time & aggravation. Just promise me to NOT spread the word - you're welcome.

No comments: