Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why don't the faithful exhibit faith?

I've got to be careful here because I don't intend to offend anybody - especially those closest to me, but I don't understand the sorrow & the grief that people of faith go through when a loved one has died or is on their way.

Don't get me wrong I understand painfully the deepest of sorrow & grief having lost all my grandparents and both my parents - and I think of them often & miss them deeply. But I have no faith, never have and I doubt I ever will. As a matter of fact atheist, I accept that we live knowing that none of us ever get out of this alive. I'll be pushing up pretty flowers (or more likely scattered to the wind) someday as the earth continues to revolve and generations to come will never know who I was. After my demise I will live on only in the hearts & minds of my immediate loved ones, especially my children and I'm fine with that. I trust their memories will be good ones; but that'll be about as far as it goes.

I personally believe that there is no heaven or hell or purgatory or any of that which any particular religion (pick one) preaches where our soul might drift to. My matter returns to the earth from whence it came, and when it's lights out - whatever "soul" I have extinguishes as well.

So I find it a perplexing that people who do have faith and do fervently believe in such things where folks go in the afterlife aren't more comforted when a loved one is approaching (or has approached) their ultimate quest. Because of their beliefs, why aren't they looking forward to that particular day? Why isn't there more of - "you've lived a wonderful life, but this is what you've been waiting for..." (for lack of a better term) pep talk? Why is it always so gloomy & morose?

If I have a say in the matter, when my time comes - we're going to throw gloomy & morose a wrench - there's going to be some laughter & and for once I won't expect to get the last laugh. Maybe it'll start a trend.

No comments: