Thursday, January 6, 2011

Clean - the 1st week (or am I wasting away?)

This isn't a "diet" - it's a program; takes 21 days (though may develop long lasting habits).

My primary motivation is to support my spousal unit as we take this journey together since it seems Santa shared my concern about her eating habits and overall health. This has the potential of being the most valuable gift ever. I also think this'll cause me to refocus on what I put in my body with the positive impact that'll have after the cleanse is complete.

Follow along, or better yet join in.

DAY 1 - Thursday JAN 6th
157.2 #, 7.2% fat, 59.9% H2O, 1866 BMR
Woke up earlier than usual, and perhaps the psychological angst of the 3 weeks to come were already affecting me as I snapped at the eldest daughter for lallygagging when getting ready for school. Promptly apologized & the rest of the day went oddly really well. Didn't miss eating the typical 3 squares with the penchant for snacking on whatever/whenever. Perhaps didn't drink enough - peeing often, just not once an hour (at least not yet). Olive oil before bed is going to take a little getting used to. Otherwise the program guidelines are quite simple & EZ to follow.

DAY 2
First time at work on the program & worked out fine. Brought along a home blended smoothie in cooler-bag, with some nuts & apple for flight. Went for 2+ hour ride in DFW w/water. Late lunch on return. Wasn't really very hungry, but want to get some calories in and keep energy levels up. Smoothie mix for dinner. Walked up the block to Krogers for some stuff tomorrow (fruit, more nuts, lunch, etc.).

DAY 3
Another EZ 2+ hour ride in DFW (GPS not recharged - DOH). No hunger issues. Shake, apple, nuts, blueberries, keeping the energy up. Drank coconut water on return flight, too late for smoothie by the time I got home.

DAY 4
154.2 #, 7.0% fat, 59.9% H2O, 1832 BMR
Off to Texas for another 2-day, this time to IAH (& one of our better layovers at the Marriott in the Woodlands). Brought wild rice/quinoa lentil bean mix, but forgot to bring Rice Dream, raw nuts, or smoothie mix. Restocked once I got there at Hubbell & Hudson (which is a local less expensive version of Metropolitan Market). 5 mile run on treadmill & other fitness stuff (lunges, burpees, push ups, sit ups, etc.) topped off the day.

DAY 5
All day in IAH. Despite the cold snap passing through (dreary overcast & low 40's) got out for a nice 3 hour EZ spin. Experimented with coconut water in my bottles which at 86 calories per 16 oz serving isn't up to my usual intake but serves as an OK fluid & electrolyte replacement. Late lunch of wild rice/cranberry concoction with side of organic blueberries from H&H.

DAY 6
153.0 #, 6.4% fat, 60.4% H2O, 1827 BMR
I will not be able to continue to sustain weight loss at this rate for the duration of the program - 4.2 # in 5 full days. Though I knew my caloric intake wasn't going to match my expenditure & thus some loss was inevitable, this is more than I expected at this point in the program. So we'll see whether it continues on its current pace or levels off. They do allow for additional smoothies if necessary for athletic individuals - so I might have to partake in some more to get those calories. Still peeing often though still not every hour as the program states as a goal which I seriously doubt I'll ever manage.

DAY 7
The first 3-5 days were stated as being the toughest to adapt to the program and once over that hump the rest was fairly easy to persevere for the duration. I haven't found that to be the case. In fact giving up the mindless snacking and actually putting some thought into preparing a satisfying nutritious meal once a day is sorta kinda fun. Seems as if I was on autopilot and perhaps in a rut for my food selection as of late - and if anything sticks this has, at the very least, expanded my horizon. While the limits of foods available on the inclusion/exclusion list seems somewhat restrictive - I haven't found myself going hungry or having any cravings with absolutely no urge to cheat.

I don't know why it's taken me this long in the week to rediscover a great energy gel to utilize - they even sponsor our bike team (DUH! I'm probably going to hear about this) - Chocolate #9 (which has only agave nectar & dark cocoa; both of which are on the inclusion list above).

In addition to the disappearance of the persistent cough which I acquired a month ago, I've also noticed that my sinuses are unusually clear (which I didn't realize were seemingly always partially congested until they weren't). Feeling good, light, energetic, hydrated & regular - I'm looking forward to see what additional changes may be in store during the next two weeks.

No comments: