Friday, July 23, 2010

If I saw the sign I would've been better prepared

OK I kinda knew that the first 5K (being all uphill) would put me on the rivet - I'm old and it takes me awhile to get warmed up. I suffered but was midpack as we crested & the pace increased - when I threw my chain as I tried to upshift & it locked up in the crank.

This has happened previously & is usually no big deal - most of the time I shift this back into place without too much hassle on the fly. Not this time, it was seriously stuck - I stopped right away. After wrestling about 2 minutes of frantic-ness I was again on my way - with everybody (even those dropped on the climb) now ahead of me. I passed 2 stragglers almost immediately but with a serious extended downhill the pack was gone. Bottom of the descent several miles later on a flattish straight portion of the course I timed the pack at 4 minutes ahead - that was the last I had an opportunity to see them. Solo'd about 67 miles (though it wasn't nearly as bad as a certain Scot).

The lead break of CAT 3's (who started 10 minutes in arrears) caught me at 1:15 at about 27 miles, with the main group catching me 10 minutes later. I shadowed them at a respectable distance when several inadvertently connected just after halfway - one guy was crumpled up pretty good and probably had some broken something, with many more standing around adjusting whatever got twisted upon going down.

Continuing on in my tempo mode I caught several other CAT 3's dropped from their pack while some more of the crashed rode by in chase.

I stayed away from the lead CAT 4's (who started 20 minutes behind) just prior to the 5K to go sign (right after the illegal feed from a kind group offering H2O, coke, water, ice baths, & beer - thanks guys).

Tomorrow I will probably not ride too strong during the morning TT, and concentrate on a good result for the PM Crit. Time overall for the GC is not a consideration anymore - individual efforts to do well in the remaining stages that I can contest will prevail. Of course if I missed the time cut & get DQ'd for being too far behind today - I might be just driving home.

Update - results are posted & have me 2nd to last - but I've got a start time for tomorrow's TT, yea!

No comments: