Friday, July 9, 2010

Lining up my tri excuses & predictions

It's put up & shut up time - tomorrow I do my 1st sprint tri (or any tri) in several years. So I was putting together my essential stuff - 1 bike, 2 pair of shoes, helmet, and modest garment to race in. I'll try to remember my goggles (though it's fresh water) & perhaps a pair of socks & a post race towel.

I swam once this week (Monday in ANC in a 20 yard pool with 3 blue hairs, who made me feel like I was Michael Phelps), which makes for once in the last 3 months or so. Both wetsuits I own are torn, so I'll be without much needed floatation aid. Though at least the water should be warm after the last couple days of scorching weather. Anybody have a raft they can tow me in? Looking at about 10-12 minutes.

T1 should be a laugh, rushed mayhem, & will be a little over a minute or thereabouts.

I can't remember when I last rode my TT bike (probably Walla Walla a few years back) - I guess I need to clean the cobwebs off. I hope the tires & tubes aren't too worn/aged. Planning on getting in the groove for the 14.5ish mile ride in about 40ish minutes. I haven't had this kind of sustained effort in awhile. Watch for those rollers near the turnaround if I remember correctly.

T2 should be even quicker with less folks - under a minute in & out.

Running was never my strong point. I used to be proud when I'd hold my own getting passed by the same number of runners than I could manage to pass. It'll not be any stronger as I don't really run too much anymore; though I'd like to find time to. I have had a few more runs than swims lately - just hoping not to get passed by too many folks, especially the geriatric set, after I stumble out of T2. I expect that just about when I'll start to feel comfortable - I'll probably be coming into the finishing chute; 28-30 minutes.

I've done this race often - last event (that I can find results from anyway) was '99 when I won the 40-44 age group. My finishing times have ranged from 1:15 - 1:19; and I don't have any pretension about meeting or beating those; 1:25 -1:30 would be fine. Winning my age group would be a dream, & wouldn't really say too much about the level of competition.

I just hope my niece doesn't have to wait too long for me at the finish.

No comments: